Forces should adopt a trauma-informed lens on their engagement with victims.
Personnel can hold perceptions about particular communities and victims which can negatively affect their perceived credibility and impedes the willingness of personnel to capture their voice. Perceptions of victim credibility can be affected by a lack of understanding of trauma among personnel.
- Certain victim characteristics/behaviours, some of which may result from trauma or vulnerability, were observed to influence perceptions of credibility.
- Personnel were less likely to feel responsible for capturing the victim voice when they perceived victims were less credible.
What are the VKPP doing?
- A lot of work has already taken place in this space. See resource section below.
- This will be considered when thinking about the National Approach to Vulnerability work that the VKPP are leading.
Any resources available now?
- NVAP impact toolkit- objective 3 NVAP-Officer-Norms-Action-Impact-Toolkit-v2.3-FINAL.pdf (vkpp.org.uk)
- Lancashire Violence Reduction Unit- Resources Hub | Explore | Lancashire Violence Reduction Network (lancsvrn.co.uk)